Manufactured and Processed Food


Prepared mac and cheese in buffetIn North Dakota, a food processing license is required to process, manufacture, package, label, or store food and drink products intended for human consumption and to sell these products to other businesses (wholesale) which then sell the products to the end consumer. Registration with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is also required for all food processors.

retail food establishment license is required for direct sales of temperature control for safety (TCS) food to the end consumer. If both food processing for wholesale and retail food sales of TCS food is part of your business, a multiple food establishment license may apply. Food processors manufacturing food products that do not require time and temperature controls for safety or are not offered for direct sale to the end consumer do not need a retail food establishment license but will still need a food processing license and an FDA registration.

Regulatory Code

Additional Information