A certified copy of a birth record may only be requested by the individual named on the record, provided they are at least 16 years old, or by the mother or father named on the record.
If you are not one of the three individuals listed above, you may not request a certified copy of a birth record unless you include:
- A court order (not a subpoena) listing the child's full name and date of birth, and the confidential information form if the order lists only the child's initials, requiring our office to issue a certified copy to you; or
- Other legal documentation listing you as an authorized representative of the individual named on the birth record.
If you are requesting a birth record for an individual that is deceased, you must be:
- An immediate relative of the deceased individual; (i.e. parent, child, grandparent, grandchild. Siblings, uncles, aunts and cousins are not eligible); or
- An authorized representative acting on behalf of the deceased individual; and
- Submit a certified copy of their death record if the death did not occur in North Dakota.
Frequently Asked Questions
Certified copies of birth records are $15.00 for each copy. Our office does not issue uncertified copies.
Once received in our office, copies are usually mailed in 3 to 5 business days (this does not include the return mail time). Any received request that includes FedEx, UPS or USPS Priority Mail return shipping is processed the next business day for overnight shipping.
No. The fax process is not a reliable or efficient way to send your request to our office. If your need is urgent, then we suggest ordering your birth record using our secure online application, which is our fastest method of ordering records.
Yes. Our notarized authorization form, signed by the individual named on a birth record or the parent's name on that record may grant access to the record. You must complete both the authorization form and the birth request application form in order for our office to complete the request.
Yes. Using our secure online application, you may order your record online and select "Web Order Pickup" in the shipping method. When you order is ready, which usually takes less than two hours, we will email you directions to our office so that you can stop by and pick it up. Please remember to bring the ID you used to order the record, so we can verify that you are the correct person.
Questions? Contact Us
If you cannot provide any of these forms of identification or if you have any other questions related to these requirements, please call our office at (701) 328-2360 or contact us by e-mail at email@example.com