Child Care Assistance Program FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Child Care Assistance Program.

What is the Child Care Assistance Program?

The N.D. Child Care Assistance Program helps income-eligible families pay for child care while they work or attend school or training.

Who can apply for program?

Anyone may apply for assistance. Individuals who qualify for the program must live in North Dakota.

Where do I apply for the program?

You can apply for the program one of three ways.

Whom do I contact if I have additional questions prior to applying for the Child Care Assistance Program?

You should contact the Customer Support Center.

Phone: 1.866.614.6005 or 701-328-1000 711 (TTY)
Fax: 701.328.1006 
Mail: Customer Support Center P.O. Box 5562 Bismarck ND 58506

Will there be any child care costs that I will have to pay?

Most families pay a co-payment, which is the amount you are required to pay towards the costs of child care. Families must pay their co-payment and any costs charged by the child care provider that is not covered by the Child Care Assistance Program.

How is a co-payment determined?

The program uses your income and household size to determine your monthly co-payment. This sliding fee chart shows what your family’s co-payment would be based on your income and household size.

How is the payment to child care providers determined?

Payment rates are based on your child’s age, the amount of time your child is in care, and the type of child care provider that provides care. Any cost that is over what the program pays is your family’s responsibility to pay.

What are the requirements for providers?

A provider must be one of the following types to receive payment from the Child Care Assistance Program:

  • Licensed provider - care is provided in a home or facility setting.
  • Self-declaration provider - unlicensed care provided in a home.
  • Tribal provider - care is provided by a provider who lives on a reservation and has applied through Tribal Social Services and has met their requirements.
  • Approved relative provider - care is provided by a relative whose relationship to the child is by blood, marriage, or court decree.  This includes a grandparent, great-grandparent, aunt, uncle, or sibling.
  • Air Force provider - care is provided by a provider who lives on an U.S. Air Force Base and has applied through the Air Force Base child care licensing and has met their requirements.
  • Out-of-State provider - care is provided by a provider who lives in another state, and has applied through their state and has met their state’s requirements.
Where can I get assistance in finding child care?

Families may contact Child Care Aware at (800) 997-8515 or search online for child care providers.