Nursing Facility Services
Nursing facility services are provided to approximately 2,400 Medicaid-eligible residents who require regular or daily services of a licensed nurse in nursing facilities and swing beds located throughout the state. There are 76 licensed facilities with 5,079 beds available participating in the Medicaid program and approximately 800 beds in 36 swing bed facilities throughout the state.
Approximately fifty-four percent of licensed nursing facility beds are funded through the Medicaid program. The average nursing facility rate is $403.19 per day as of Jan. 1, 2024. The swing bed rate is $350.92 per day as of April 1, 2023.
Since 1990, North Dakota has had a case-mix payment system and rate equalization for Medicaid and self-pay residents in nursing facilities. Rates for each of the 48 case-mix classifications for all residents in nursing facilities are established annually, effective January 1, based on cost reports submitted by the nursing facilities.
- Nursing Facility Rates (Effective Jan. 1, 2024)
- ND Nursing Facility Payment System Booklet - May be printed in booklet form. Under the 'Page Sizing and Handling' heading choose booklet on the Adobe print screen.
- Information for Nursing Facility Residents and Providers: Local Contact Agency Referral and Discharge Planning (MDS 3.0 Section Q)
- MDS Appeal Request Form (SFN 247)
- Publications related to Medicaid, Aging Services, and other DHS divisions
- Long Term Care Deficiency Statements Search
- Summary of Standards for Non-Medical Residential Facilities