Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program


Family sitting around table eatingThe Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides nutrition benefits to supplement the food budget of lower-income families so they can purchase healthy food and move towards self-sufficiency. Households or individuals with low income who meet certan requirements may be eligible for assistance based on income limits.

Benefits are issued on EBT cards and can only be used to buy food products at grocers, farmers' markets and other USDA-approved vendors.

Before You Apply for SNAP

Before you apply, please visit the Before You Apply for SNAP document. This gives a brief overview of the information needed, why certain questions are asked, information about citizenship and immigration status and your rights and responsibilities. If you have questions about applying for SNAP, contact your local human service zone office

Apply for SNAP


Information and Resources

Flyers, Brochures and Publications

Brochure: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - additional information regarding the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program).

Policy Manual: select the Financial Assistance link on the Policy Manual Homepage.

Apply for

For more details about NDWORKS, please contact your local Human Service Zone office (formerly known as the county social services office).

Quarterly Budget Insight: This report includes caseload and expenditure data for selected programs within the N.D. Department of Human Services.

Non-Discrimination Policy and Client Right

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.

Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

SNAP Fraud or Scams

To report suspected SNAP fraud, call the Fraud Hotline at 1 (800) 472-2622 or email

Information on reporting suspected SNAP fraud or other SNAP-related scams is online at and


  • USDA wants of scam targeting SNAP recipients.
    • Be aware of a scam using texting to obtain your personal information. The text might say you were chosen to receive food stamps or SNAP. If you do not know if a request for information about SNAP is real or not, contact your local SNAP office.
    • NEVER share personal information with individuals or organizations that you do not know. Personal information includes your social security number, bank information, or SNAP electronic benefits transfer card or PIN number.
    • If you think the text is a scam, do not reply at all. Just DELETE it.
    • Visit: USDA Notice
  • SNAP clients be aware of unknown individual/organization using COVID-19 to request confidential information:
EBT Information

View the EBT webpage by clicking here.

Download: EBT Client Handbook

Download: Helpful EBT Tips

Visit: AARP Benefits QuickLINK

SNAP Retailer Locator - Find stores where you can use your SNAP EBT card to buy food. Click on Select Locations and type in county or city information to find USDA-approved vendors in your area, or use the map tool.


Additional Services

HHS may be able to help with more than just food support.
Other programs you may qualify for include health care, child care assistance, housing and utility help.
Learn more about other services available by clicking here.

House, heart, family and apple icons



Contact Us

For information related to the application for benefits, program eligibility, or an existing case, contact your local human service zone office (formerly called county social service office), OR direct your questions to the department.

Economic Assistance Policy Division
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
600 E Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 325
Bismarck ND 58505-0250

Phone: (701) 328-2332
Toll-Free: (800) 755-2716 (ND Only)
711 (TTY)


Submit a appeal request online.