Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) has specially trained vision rehabilitation specialists (VRS) that help people with vision problems. We can help people looking for a career or to maintain their independence and safety.
Older Individuals who are Blind (OIB) Program
The OIB program helps people improve their independence in their homes and communities by enhancing their quality of life. Services are tailored to meet their individual needs. There is no cost for our services. There may be a small cost for assistive technology items.
- Be age of 55 or older
- Have a vision impairment (example: cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc.)
- Not working
- Living in their own home, or other independent setting (not in a nursing home).
There are several services that are available to help promote independence and safety.
Devices and training
- Glare control
- Talking watch or talking alarm clock
- Large print calendar
- Computer skills
- Medication management
- Cooking safety
Work with other programs to get you the services you need
- North Dakota Assistive – phone program
- North Dakota State Library – talking books
- Eye-Link North Dakota – grant for low vision devices
- Lions Video Magnifier Program – video magnifier (CCTV)
- North Dakota Vision Services/School for the Blind – orientation and mobility services
We help individuals who are blind or visually impaired to get, keep or advance in a job. Our team will work with you to meet your career goals. We offer several employment services including:
- Guidance and counseling related to a career
- Job exploration
- Job placement
- Resume writing
- Interviewing skills
- Jobsite assessment, accommodations and assistive technology
- Referral to other related services
The Business Enterprise Program (BEP) helps people who are blind become self-employed. Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) will assist with training, licensing, and buying equipment to start a small vending business.
- Legally Blind
- Over the age of 18
- Snack bars
- Automatic vending machines or self-serve micro markets
- Learn how to run a business
- Earn income
- Receive profits from vending machines at ND rest areas
For more information or to have Vocational Rehabilitation contact you, complete the form below. Our team will reach out to you in 1-2 business days. If you have immediate questions, please call (800) 755-2745 or email email@example.com.
Contact us if you want to learn more about our vision services.
North Dakota Vocational Rehabilitation
1000 E. Divide Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: (701) 328-8950
Toll-Free: (800) 755-2745
Fax: (701) 328-1884