Publications - Apply for Help


Here you can find Economic Assistance publications available by program. If you would like to translate the information you can do so using the translation service at the top of the webpage.

Application Information

Use the Application for Assistance to apply for Child Care Assistance (CCAP), Food Assistance (SNAP), Heath Care Coverage (HCC), Basic Care Assistance Program (BCAP), and Temporary Assistance (TANF).

Submit a request to have an application mailed to you.

For additional information about these programs view the Application for Assistance Guidebook.

Use the LIHEAP application to apply for Home Energy Assistance.

View the Public Charge Statement.

Civil Rights Information
Crossroads Program
Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP)
ND Housing Stability (NDRH and NDHFH)
Temporary Assistance (TANF)


Application Checklist: 



      • Notice of Right to Claim "Good Cause" - This form is to be completed by TANF applicants who believe they have "good cause" not to cooperate with the state's effort to establish paternity or collect child support or medical support.



      Brochure: About CCAP

      Download the PDF

      About CCAP

      The Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) helps pay a portion of the cost of child care for working families, or families in training or education programs.

      Who does CCAP serve?

      Families with low income who are:

      • Working
      • Paid employment or self-employed
      • In allowable education or training programs
        • Note: You must turn in a copy of your class schedule if attending allowable post-secondary school or training
      • Looking for employment, education or training activities, and housing in situations of homelessness (limited time)

      Who may be eligible?

      What are the age requirements for children?

      • Children are eligible from birth through the certificate period in which their 13th birthday falls.
      • A child with special needs may qualify up to age 19.

      What are the income and asset limits?

      • Monthly income from wages, child support, pensions, veteran’s benefits or other sources must be less than the CCAP income limits. Please contact the Customer Support Center or visit for the current limits.
      • A CCAP Sliding Fee Schedule was developed to determine cost sharing by a family and CCAP based on income, size of the family, age of the child, type of provider, and level of care.
      • The CCAP Sliding Fee Schedule can be found at: or through the Customer Support Center.

      How do I apply?

      By Request: Applications are available from your the Customer Support Center.

      Need help?

      Who can help me find a child care provider?

      • Child Care Aware® of North Dakota can assist parents in choosing a provider who will meet their needs.
      • You can also search for care and view resources at, or call 800-997-8515 (press 1) to speak with a referral specialist.

      Who do I contact for more information?

      • The Customer Support Center at 1.866.614.6005; 711 (TTY)
      • Health and Human Services 1-800-755-2716; 711 (TTY)

      What do I need to know about CCAP?

      How is my child care paid?

      The ND Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will pay a portion of your child care determined by using the CCAP Sliding Fee Schedule. Payment is made directly to the provider unless the provider requests that payment be made directly to the family

      What is a Child Care Certificate?

      A child care certificate is issued to a family and provider once they are determined eligible, and have chosen an eligible provider for the program. The certificate contains:

      • the name and address of the parent/caretaker
      • the period of time covered by the certificate
      • the monthly co-payment for which the family is responsible
      • the children who are eligible to receive child care
      • the level of care and provider each child is eligible for

      What are my program rights?

      As a participant in CCAP there are certain rights that protect you. You have the right to:

      • Review the policy manual.
      • Withdraw your application prior to receiving benefits.
      • Appeal and request a fair hearing if you disagree with any decision made by CCAP to deny, reduce, or terminate benefits
        • Note: Appeals must be requested within 30 days from the print date on the notice that is being appealed.

      What happens if I give false information on purpose?

      If you give false information on purpose, it might result in legal action against you (criminal or civil). It might 
      also mean we reduce your benefits, take money back from you, or disqualify you from benefits temporarily or permanently.

      What do I need to know about providers?

      Who may I use as a provider?

      Families have the right to choose their own child care provider. Providers may be nonprofit, for profit, religious, or relatives. Families must contact the Customer Support Center for information about licensing, self-declaration or approval of relative providers.

      Who qualifies to be a provider?

      To receive payment providers must be at least 18 years old, licensed, self-declaration, tribal registered or an approved relative. An approved relative must be related to the child by marriage, blood relationship or court decree, and:

      • a grandparent or great grandparent
      • an aunt or uncle
      • a sibling

      Approved relative providers can not live in the same home as the child for whom care is being provided

      What if my provider requires a contract?

      If your child care provider requires you to sign a contract, read it carefully before signing so you are aware of all your obligations. HHS is not bound by or responsible for either party’s compliance with the terms of any contract entered between a provider and a parent/caretaker.

      What access to my children do I have while they are at my providers?

      Families must be given unlimited access to their child(ren) in child care and to the providers who are providing the care. This access is to be during normal operating hours of the child care facility.

      Who do I contact for more information?

      The Customer Support Center at 1.866.614.6005, or Health and Human Services 1-800-755-2716.

      Will my personal information be protected?

      Is my information kept confidential?

      The information you provide is held in confidence and used solely for program administration.

      Do I have to provide my Social Security Number?

      The Privacy Act of 1974 requires the following information be provided when individuals are requested to disclose their social security numbers:

      • Disclosure of the social security number is voluntary and it is requested for identification purposes.
      • Failure to disclose this information will not affect participation in this program

      Non-discrimination in Federal Assistance Program

      You have the right to file a written complaint if you believe that you or members of your household have been discriminated against by reason of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, political beliefs, handicap, or status with respect to marriage or public assistance. A written complaint may be filed with your local human service zone office; the North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services office for Civil Rights, Legal Advisory Unit, 600 E. Boulevard Ave., Dept 325, Bismarck, ND 58505-0250, 701-328-2311 or 711 (TTY); Fax 701-328-2173, email:; or U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, 200 Independence Ave. SW, HHH Building, Room 509-F, Washington, DC 20201 (1-800-368-1019 or TDD 1-800-537-7697; Fax 202-619-3437).

      Child Care Development Fund Fact Sheet

      Download the PDF

      The North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services Economic Assistance and Early Childhood sections administer the Child Care Development Fund (CCDF).

      Through the CCDF child care providers and families receive these services and support:

      • Equal access to the Child Care Assistance Program
      • Health and safety standards for all licensed or self-declared providers
      • Child Care Resource and Referral agency
      • Bright & Early North Dakota, the state’s Quality Rating and Improvement System
      • Licensing inspection and monitoring information
      • Complaint process for families and providers

      Learn more about these services.

      Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

      CCAP helps pay a portion of the cost of childcare for working families, or families in allowable training or education programs. Learn more at

      Child Care Licensing

      Child care licensing regulations protect and promote child safety and well-being in child care settings. Licensing is one form of protection. Licensed child care offers parents the knowledge that providers are regulated through standards and monitoring. Learn more at

      Bright & Early North Dakota

      Bright & Early North Dakota is the state’s Quality Rating and Improvement System. The department’s initiative ensures that children receive the quality child care and early education they need for success in school and life. It also recognizes and rewards talented child care and early education programs for going above and beyond. For information on identifying quality-rated providers visit:

      Developmental Screenings

      The first five years of a child’s life are filled with exciting milestones. A developmental screening is a quick and simple check of how your child is growing and developing. For information on when and who to contact to set up a screening, visit:…

      How to File a Complaint

      If you suspect a parent or child care provider is misusing funds from the Child Care Assistance Program, contact Joy Landeis at 1-800-755-2716 or email For other child care concerns, contact your local Early Childhood Services Licensing Specialist at:

      Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies The Department of Human Services contracts with Child Care Aware North Dakota to offer the following services:

      Services to Families

      Help finding child care: An online search option provides families with up-to-date information on licensed and self-declared child care providers including:

      • Which providers are currently accepting children
      • Quality rating of the provider
      • Inspection and monitoring reports

      Search online at:

      Referrals to licensed and self-declared child care programs: Call 800-997-8515 or email

      Resources including tips for choosing licensed child care:

      Services to Providers

      • Help in starting a licensed child care program
      • Professional development and training in areas of child development
      • Health and safety
      • Infant and toddler care and business practices
      CCAP Provider Guidebook

      Download the PDF


      Thank you for participating in the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP). This booklet is for you—the child care provider. It explains what you need to know to receive payment from the ND Economic Assistance for families who participate in CCAP.

      CCAP Overview

      The Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) helps income-eligible families pay for child care while they work or attend school or training.

      Program Guidelines

      What are the requirements for families?

      • Families must meet income guidelines.
      • Parents must need child care to go to work or attend school or training.
      • Children must meet age requirements:
        • Birth through their 13th birthday.
        • Special needs children may qualify up to age 19.

      What are the requirements for providers?

      • Must be at least 18 years old.
      • Must be a licensed, tribal registered, self-declared or approved relative child care provider.
      • Must complete a W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification form¹.
      • Must report an address change to remain active as a child care provider.
      • If you are a licensed, registered, self-declared or an approved relative child care provider, contact your human service zone office to get relicensed to prevent any payment delays.

      Note: If you fail to report an address change, you will no longer be able to receive child care payments from the program.
      Applications for a licensed, registered, self-declaration or approved relative child care provider can be picked up at the human service zone office².


      What is a child care certificate?

      A family and child care provider receive what’s called a certificate.
      The certificate shows:

      • Number of months covered.
      • Monthly co-pay a family must pay.
      • Children covered and if they are full-time or part-time.
      • Maximum amount the program will pay.

      A parent is responsible to pay any child care costs over the maximum amount paid by the program.

      Additional Information

      Can I find out the status of a family’s CCAP case?
      Information about a family’s status is confidential and may be shared only under certain conditions.

      What are the family’s rights?

      • A family selects their child care provider.
      • Child care providers must let parents have unlimited access to their children.
      • Child care providers and families are responsible for deciding on a termination agreement.
      • The state will not pay a child care provider more than what is charged for a self (private) pay family.

      Types of Providers

      State Licensed Provider

      Who issues state licenses?

      ND Early Childhood provides licensing for individuals or businesses who wish to provide child care services for children outside of their families.

      Approved Relative Provider

      Who is eligible to be an approved relative provider?

      A relative residing in a separate home who is related to the child by marriage, blood relationship or court decree, and is a:

      • Grandparent or great grandparent
      • Aunt or uncle
      • Sibling

      Approved relative providers must keep attendance records for each child in their care. These records must be handled in a way that protects the identity of the CCAP family and must be provided at the request of the state or human service office. Records should include the following:

      • Child's name
      • Date care was provided
      • Check in and check out times

      Approved relative providers will receive a provider ID number. For more information contact the CCAP Office.

      Are you an approved relative provider interested in becoming a state licensed provider?

      Many of the requirements already completed for approved relative registration are the same for self-declared (state licensed) providers. Benefits of becoming state licensed include:

      • CCAP can pay up to an additional $60 per month per child.
      • Eligible to receive reimbursements for meals through the Child & Adult Care Food Program (CACFP>.

      Tribal Registered Provider

      Who provides tribal registration?

      Tribes provide a licensing process to members. Registered tribal providers who provide proof of registration to the CCAP Office are eligible to receive CCAP payments. For more information contact your tribal office.

      How does an out of state provider qualify to serve ND CCAP clients?

      The license for an out of state provder is issued by the state in which they live. These providers may register with the State of North Dakota to provide services to clients receiving Child Care Assistance. Contact the CCAP Office to register.

      Military licensed providers

      Who provides military licensing?

      Military licenses are issued by the military agency. Military licensed providers who register with the CCAP Office may receive CCAP payments.

      Required Documentation

      CCAP Required documentation

      • Copy of License - Issued by appropriate licensing agency
      • W9 - Request for Tax Payer ID Number and Certification1
      • SFN 433 - Child Abuse and Neglect Background Inquiry for each household member age 18 and over4
      • SFN 23 - Application for Approval for Relative Child Care Provider5
      • Copy of Training - Completion of the free Getting Started Training6 offered by ND Early Childhood Division

      Note: These are the documents required to receive payment from CCAP. ND Early Childhood Division has additional requirements for state licensed or registered providers.

      Billing Information

      Child Care Provider Rates & Sliding Fee Schedule

      Who sets provider rates?

      Providers determine how much they charge for services. The state sets rates for how much CCAP pays toward the cost of child care.

      How are CCAP rates set?

      Providers can share what they are charging for services by participating in the Market Rate Survey which takes place every three years. The information provided in this survey helps the CCAP office set rates.

      What is the sliding fee schedule?

      The sliding fee schedule is used to decide if a family qualifies for the program and contains all the CCAP payment rates. Most families are required to help pay a part of their child care costs, which is also determined by the schedule.

      Requesting payment

      How do I request payment?

      Payment can be requested through the Self-Service Portal (SSP).9 This must be completed each month the child is in your care. Note: It is your responsibility as a child care provider to request payment. CCAP participates in prospective payments. This means that if a child is enrolled in care for the month of June, payment for those services can be billed for at the first of June instead of waiting until July. This also means that families will need to notify their providers and human service zone workers as soon as possible when they are planning to change providers. Can I bill for registration fees? CCAP may pay for registration or deposit fees charged by Center (license types C,E,K,M) or Group/Family (license type F, G, H) providers.

      Can I bill for hours that a child is absent from care?

      Yes, as CCAP payments are now based on enrollment and not attendance. Note: The program cannot pay for meals, snacks, or transportation fees charged by the child care provider.

      How do I bill for joint custody families?

      • Payments will be made based on the time the caretaker has the child(ren) in their care.
      • Certification is submitted for the time frame the child was in a particular parent’s custody.
      • If both parents use the same provider, two certifications must be submitted.

      For example:

      • If a mother has custody of the child for two weeks each month, the provider would certify for those two weeks.
      • If the same child’s father uses the same provider for the remainder of the month, the provider would certify for both the mother and the father.

      Payment Information

      Form of payment

      How are CCAP payments made?

      Providers are paid via direct deposit. If the provider has a garnishment by child support, or if the payment is made directly to the family instead of the provider, the payment must be issued via check.

      Can payment be made directly to the family?

      Child care payments are made directly to you and not to a family. If you would like to change this, you can select this option in the SSP. Note: Even if the child care payment is paid directly to a family, you must complete a W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification form. Child Care Assistance checks cannot be forwarded.

      Payment Processing

      Is there a deadline to request payment?

      The electronically submitted payment request through the self-service portal (SSP) must be submitted within 2 months following the month child care services were provided.

      How long does it take for my payment to be processed?

      Payment certifications are processed nightly. Payments will be received within five working days.

      How do I know the status of my payment?

      You can monitor the status of your payment using the Self-Service Portal (SSP). For more information on the SSP see pages 16-17 of this guidebook.

      What if I do not receive my payment within five working days?

      If you have not received your payment within 5 working days, check the payment status through the SSP. You should also verify your direct deposit information. If the SSP shows payment has been made and your direct deposit information is correct, contact the state CCAP office.

      Payment Notification

      How do I know which families I have received payment for?

      • A notice will be sent with each payment made showing the child’s name and the payment amount. Notices are also available in the SSP.
      • There may be more than one family on the notice.
      • Payments processed on the same day are combined into one payment.

      Note: It is important to keep the notices for your records.

      Will the family be notified that payment has been made?

      The family will receive a notice listing the total child care bill, the amount paid by the program, and the amount the family is responsible to pay.

      Tax Information

      W9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification

      What is a W9?

      A W9 is used to verify the CCAP Office has the correct information is on file for tax reporting. You are required to provide a W9 to the CCAP Office.

      What if my information changes?

      If your name or address change after your initial W9 submission, you must submit a new W9 through the SSP so your information can be updated for tax reporting.

      Employer ID Numbers

      Child care providers can apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number. This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Contact the IRS office to apply or go online to 1099 NEC Miscellaneous Tax Form

      Who will receive a 1099?

      Federal law requires that a 1099 NEC Miscellaneous Tax Form be sent to each child care provider who has received payments of $600 or more from the state.

      How will I receive my 1099?

      This will be done automatically at the end of a calendar year and mailed to the address provided on your W9 in January. You can also find this in the SSP. This information is also sent to the IRS.

      What else do I need to know?

      The 1099 NEC Miscellaneous Tax Form does not include the amount paid to you by a specific family. It is your responsibility to maintain records of a family’s copayments.

      Self-Service Payment Portal

      Self-service portal Overview

      What is the self-service portal?

      The Self-Service Portal (SSP) is an online tool that allows child care providers to submit their monthly payment requests online and view payments.

      What are the benefits of using the SSP?

      • CCAP payments will be even more timely.
      • Streamline processes.

      Note: The self-service portal is for child care subsidy reimbursement, not for licensing activities. Accessing and registering for the SSP

      How do I use the SSP?

      You will need to register for a North Dakota login if you haven’t already done so. (Note: If you have a North Dakota login for the child care licensing site, your may use the same one.) After that, you will need to create an account to use the self-service portal. An online training is available that shows you how to register and create an account.

      When can I start using it?

      Once your account has been approved, you can log in to the self-service portal to access your personalized dashboard to certify enrollment, review payment history, upload documents and manage your account. You can begin using the portal for payment requests when you see a child’s name on your dashboard.

      Who can use the self-service portal for subsidy reimbursement?

      All licensed and regulated child care providers, including relative, tribal, and out-of-state providers.

      How do I access it?

      The self-service payment portal can be accessed at

      What do I need to register for an account?

      In order to register for an account you will need your license type and provider number.

      What if I need help using the SSP?

      An online training is available for all provider types.

      What if I do not want to use the SSP?

      Beginning with the service month of October 2022 all billing must be submitted through the SSP.

      Will using the SSP change the way I receive my CCAP payments?

      Child Care Assistance Program payments will continue to be received as they are today, including payments sent to families.

      CCAP Provider Agreement

      By clicking this box, I certify that the information I provide during the North Dakota Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) enrollment process is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and that I will comply with all terms, conditions, and responsibilities of this agreement. I understand that I am providing this information so that state agency officials can verify that I am is eligible to receive subsidized child care assistance payments. 
      This Agreement is between the North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services (NDDHHS) CCAP and the provider of child care to children authorized under this Agreement. The Provider agrees to comply with this Agreement and all applicable state statues, North Dakota Administrative Code (NDAC), and all applicable Federal statutes and regulations in order to be paid for providing child care.
      In order to receive Child Care Assistance Payments from the North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services (NDDHHS), I understand and agree to the following:

      General Information

      1. I understand that I must at all times comply with all North Dakota child care laws and rules that apply to the child care I provide, including all rules related to North Dakota CCAP. I understand that failure to comply with North Dakota Child Care Requirements may result in termination of this Agreement.
      2. I understand that I must keep all information I receive about children and families confidential.
      3. I agree to submit a W-9 Form through the Provider Self Service Portal at initial enrollment with CCAP, to submit an updated form when a change needs to be reported, and periodically review and certify the information is correct.
      4. 4. I understand that the income I receive as child care subsidy payments is taxable and all subsidy payments will be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service. DHHS does not withhold any taxes from subsidy payments.
      5. I am responsible for any and all information provided through the Provider SSP. If I allow Financial or Facility Administrative security access to the Provider SSP to anyone else, I will be responsible for any incorrect information provided by that other individual even if the error was unintentional.
      6. For providers who are licensed by another state, tribal agency, or military agency:
        a. I agree to submit copy of current license from state of residence or tribal agency. Renewed licenses, registrations, and self-declarations must be submitted yearly.
        b. I agree to disclose to NDDHHS any adverse action enacted or proposed, including license or certificate revocation or accreditation suspension or removal. Any disclosure of information to NDDHHS must be made within five business days of the enacted or proposed adverse action.
        c. Secure, maintain, and display a license as required by NDAC sections 75-03-08-04, 75-03-09-04, 75-03- 10-04, 75-03-11-04, and 75-03-11.1-04. A border state child care Provider is required to maintain and display the license certificate or approval to provide child care issued by the border state.

      Self Service Portal (SSP)

      1. I will access the Provider (SSP) by the 25th of each month and review the child care subsidy payment information for each child in order to receive payment by the first of the following month. If the child's information has not been reviewed and certified as correct by the 25th, payment is not guaranteed by the 1st and will be processed within 3-5 business days.
        EX: I will access the Provider SSP by the 25th of July, certify and submit the child information is correct in order to receive payment for August by August 1st.
      2. I understand that certification must be completed within 2 months of the month the care was provided.
        EX: I will access the Provider SSP by July 31st in order to receive payment for care provided in May.
      3. I understand that if I do not enter and submit attendance records in the Provider SSP by the twenty-fifth (25th) calendar day of the following month, I will not receive payment for the following month.
        EX: I will submit attendance records for July by August 25th in order to receive payment for the month of September.
      4. I understand that it is my responsibility to maintain CCAP certificates, track and submit attendance records, and update information in the Provider SSP. This includes when a child in my care moves from full-time to part-time or afterschool care, as well as any other schedule changes that impact enrollment rates.

      Enrollment and Documentation

      1. I will keep accurate records of subsidized child care payments, and time and attendance records for each child for a minimum of three years. Time and attendance means the date and time the child arrived and left my care. These records also include enrollment, private paying parent rates and rate forms/attachments, parent fee receipts, and agreements that involve outstanding parent fees due. I further understand that I must, at all times, have all records related to CCAP available for review by local, state, and federal officials at my child care facility location. I understand that failure to keep accurate and complete records may result in termination from CCAP or overpayments. 
      2. I understand that it is my sole responsibility to monitor the eligibility dates on the child’s CCAP certificate. I further understand that I will not be paid for care provided to the child after the end date listed on the child’s certificate.

      Billing and Payment

      1. I understand that if a child is absent for more than ten (10) days during any month, I must contact the parent or responsible adult to determine if or when that child will return. If a child is absent for more than one month, I understand that I will only be paid for the first month in which the absences occurred.
      2. I understand that in order to receive payments directly I must set up direct deposit. I will access the Provider SSP to provide information about the financial account I want used for direct deposit. I will keep that information current. I understand the North Dakota Child Care Assistance Program is not responsible for any payments made to the wrong financial account.
      3. I understand that I must enter the child care rates that I charge private paying parents into the Provider SSP before I can receive payment. I understand that I cannot charge a lower rate for private paying families than what I enter in the Provider SSP.
      4. I understand that I am solely responsible for collecting any parent fees, which may include copayments, supply and transportation fees, or any amount remaining after CCAP payment.
      5. I understand that I must notify the Child Care Assistance Program if I am receiving payment from other sources for a child enrolled in CCAP.
      6. I understand that CCAP will not pay for care of children in unlicensed space. I also understand that the CCAP will not pay for children to be cared at a location other than that listed on the license or approval letter.
        a. If my license ends or expires while proving care, I can only bill for the days in which I am licensed to provide care.
      7. I understand that I must review my payment summary through the Provider SSP and report any underpayments to CCAP within thirty (30) calendar days to be eligible for reimbursement.

      Fraud and IPV

      1. I understand that I will not be paid for children who cause my facility to exceed licensed enrollment capacity, age range, shifts, and all other applicable restrictions on my license. I further understand that if I provide care for such children, I may be subject to an administrative action against my license, up to and including revocation.
      2. I understand that submitting false or fraudulent attendance records may result in termination from the Child Care Assistance Program. I understand that failure to update enrollment rates in the Provider SSP may result in my being issued an overpayment notice, or an Intentional Program Violation may be pursued.

      Payment Inaccuracies

      1. I understand that I must repay any overpayment. I must report any overpayment to CCAP as soon as I learn of the overpayment. In addition, I understand that CCAP will correct overpayments by withholding money from future payments for services provided. I understand that, although CCAP will not withhold more than 20% of my payment in any given month, withholding will continue each month until the entire amount has been repaid.
      2. I understand that I may appeal the determination of an overpayment.
      3. I understand that if I provide care for at least eight hours and terminate services of a child during the month, I can only keep payment authorized for the hours the child was in care.
      4. If I receive payment from CCAP for services I did not provide, I am responsible for repayment of any resulting overpayment and agree to cooperate with CCAP to repay the overpayment in full. This also includes the following situations; (i) I reported a change to CCAP in a timely manner but I incorrectly received payment or (ii) I was not notified by the parent that the child would not attend child care in that month or attended less than eight hours. An overpayment exists in these situations even if the funds were previously approved by CCAP.

      As the business owner or authorized person to manage portal account information, I have reviewed the provider guidebook, and I read or had read to me the Child Care Provider Agreement. I understand these statements and agree to adhere to them. I understand I can be penalized by law NDAC if I intentionally or by failing to act, make a false or misleading statement or misrepresenting, concealing, or withholding facts.

      I certify that I have read, understood, and will comply with my responsibilities under this Child Care Provider Agreement. I understand that the above is a contract between me and DHHS, Division of Economic Assistance and Division of Early Childhood and is enforceable under the laws of the State of North Dakota. I further understand that, if I wish, I may consult an attorney prior to signing this agreement. I agree to maintain a copy of this agreement in my child care files for a minimum of three (3) years.

      Before You Apply for SNAP

      Download the PDF

      You have the right to file an incomplete application as long as it contains the applicant’s name, address and signature of either the applicant or the authorized representative. If you are eligible, your assistance will start from the date we receive your complete or incomplete application. However, if you provide more information, it will help us determine your eligibility more quickly.

      When we get your application for SNAP or TANF, we will set up an interview with you. For SNAP, a face-to-face interview may be waived in favor of a telephone interview on a case-by-case basis determined by household hardship reasons. Health Care Coverage and Child Care Assistance do not require an interview.

      If you are eligible, you will get your benefits no later than 30 days from the date you submit your application. If you submit your application after normal business hours or on a weekend or holiday, your date of application will be the next business day.

      You may get SNAP within 7 days of your application date if any of the following are true:

      • Your household’s monthly income before taxes is $150 or less; or
      • You are a migrant or seasonal farm worker; or
      • Your household’s monthly rent/mortgage and utilities are more than your household’s income before taxes.

      There is no limit to the length of time you can receive benefits for SNAP. Time limits and requirements for other programs such as TANF do not apply to the receipt of SNAP. If you are no longer receiving TANF benefits or if your case is closed for time limits, because you started working or for some other reason, you may still qualify for SNAP.

      If you are applying for SNAP you can have someone help you, if you wish. This person can fill out your application, answer questions for you, give information at your interview, and buy your food with an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. We will be able to share information with this person.

      You will be asked to provide Social Security Numbers (SSNs) for all persons for whom you want assistance, except for the Child Care Assistance Program. Disclosure of SSNs for the Child Care Assistance Program is voluntary and is requested for the purpose of accurate identification. Failure to disclose SSNs will not affect participation in the Child Care Assistance Program. If any of these persons do not have an SSN, we can help you apply for one. Providing or applying for an SSN is voluntary; however, any person who wants assistance but who doesn’t want to give  information about their SSN will not be eligible for benefits. Other household members may still get benefits if they are otherwise eligible. If you are applying only for emergency Medicaid because of your citizenship or immigration status, you do not need to give us information about your SSN.

      The social security number is used to check the identity of household members, to prevent duplicate participation, to monitor compliance with program regulations, for claim collection, for official examination by Federal or State agencies, and to help make mass changes. The social security number is also used to check information in our records against other Federal, State or local government computer matching systems participating in the Income and Eligibility Verification System, including but not limited to the Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration, Department of Labor and TANF, which may affect eligibility and the level of benefits.

      Use of social security numbers provided for SNAP and TANF benefits may be disclosed to law enforcement for purposes of apprehending fleeing felons.

      We will not share your SSN with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

      For SNAP, the collection of information on the application, including the SSN of each household member, is authorized under the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008, as amended, 7 U.S.C. 2011-2036. Information requested may also be used and verified through collateral contacts when discrepancies are found.

      You will be asked to provide information about the SSN and citizenship or immigration status for all persons for whom you want to receive assistance. This information may be subject to verification by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), and information received from USCIS may affect the household’s eligibility and level of benefits.

      • For SNAP and Medicaid, if any of these persons do not want to give information about their SSN, citizenship or immigration status, they will not be eligible for benefits. These persons must provide their financial information to determine eligibility for other household members. Other household members may still get benefits if they are otherwise eligible. We will not share alien or citizenship information about nonapplicants with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).
      • For TANF, if an individual who is required to be included in the TANF household does not want to give information about their SSN, citizenship or immigration status, the entire household will be ineligible to receive benefits.

      Additional information regarding your rights and responsibilities can be found in the Application for Assistance Guidebook (

      Brochure: About SNAP

      Download the brochure

      About SNAP

      The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps low-income North Dakotans meet their nutritional needs.

      Who does SNAP serve?

      Eligible households include:

      • People who live together, buy food, and prepare meals together are grouped as a household.
      • Spouses and most children under age 22 must be one household.

      Can legal non-citizens get SNAP benefits?

      You may be able to get SNAP benefits. Talk with a human service zone worker about this. Even if you can’t get SNAP benefits, family members born in this country can. Getting SNAP benefits won’t hurt you if you want to become a citizen.

      Can I get benefits if I’m not working?

      If you are age 16–59 and able to work, you may need to meet the general work requirements to get SNAP benefits.
      You may be excused from the general work requirements if you meet an exemption.
      For more information on work requirements you may contact the Customer Support Center.

      Who may be eligible?

      Can I have assets?

      Assets are not counted for most households. Assets are counted for a household when a member of the household is not eligible due to failure to comply with SNAP requirements. Households with a member who is 60 or older or disabled may have up to $4,250 in countable assets. Other households may have up to $2,750. We don’t count the assets of people who are receiving state cash assistance (TANF), federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or TANF Information and Referral Services. Check out TANF Information and Referral Services at your local human service zone office.

      What are the allowable deductions?

      • 20 percent of earned income;
      • a standard deduction based on household size;
      • medical expenses over $35 a month for elderly or disabled members;
      • certain dependent care costs when needed for training, education, or work;
      • legally owed child support; and
      • a percentage of shelter costs.

      How much income can we have?

      Earned and most unearned income is counted. Gross income means income before any deductions. Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions. TANF and SSI households are income eligible. A majority of households must meet the 200% gross income test.  Households with members who are not eligible due to failure to comply with SNAP requirements must meet the 130% gross income test.

      Income Limits

      People in Household

      200% Gross Income Limits

      130% Gross Income Limits

      100% Gross Income Limits

      1 $2,266 $1,473 $1,133
      2 $3,052 $1,984 $1,526
      3 $3,840 $2,495 $1,920
      4 $4,626 $3,007 $2,313
      5 $5,412 $3,518 $2,706
      6 $6,200 $4,029 $3,100
      8 $6,986 $4,541 $3,493

      How do I apply?


      By Mail: Print the application for assistance at Submit the application to the Customer Support Center.

      In Person: Call the human service zone office to set up a meeting with a worker. At the human service zone office, you will talk with an eligibility worker, answer some questions, and sign some papers. If you can’t go to the office, you may send a relative or a friend to talk with the worker. You may also be able to talk with a worker on the phone.

      What do I need to know about SNAP?

      If my household is eligible, how much will we get?

      For October 1, 2022 through September 30, 2023, the table below shows the most you could get if you have no income. As your income goes up, the amount of SNAP benefits you will get may go down.

      Maximum Monthly Benefits

      People in Household

      Maximum Monthly Allotment

      1 $281
      2 $516
      3 $740
      4 $939
      5 $1,116
      6 $1,339
      8 $1,691

      What do I need to bring to my appointment?

      The worker will need to see the following:

      • verification of all income
      • rent or mortgage payments
      • utility bills
      • child or elder care bills
      • child support orders (the court order and canceled checks)

      How do I receive my benefits?

      In North Dakota, a plastic card is used to access SNAP benefits that are deposited into an account just like you would a bank card, but only to purchase food.

      What if I have more questions?

      If you have more questions, contact the Customer Support Center. You can find their contact information at
      You may also contact the North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services toll-free at 
      1-800-755-2716 (North Dakota only), or visit our website at
      The USDA is an equal opportunity provider.

      Good food choices promote a healthy future at every stage of life.

      SNAP expands your ability to eat a variety of foods. The Family Nutrition Program (FNP) helps you use your SNAP benefits to make better food choices on a budget. With FNP you can learn how to:

      Increase Healthy Foods

      • Cook easy and delicious recipes at home.
      • Make half your plate colorful fruits and vegetables.
      • Read labels to make half your grains whole grain.
      • Make the switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) dairy.

      Save Money on Healthy Foods

      • Plan meals ahead of time and make a grocery list.
      • Use leftovers and planned overs in delicious ways.
      • Compare “Unit Prices” to find the best buy.
      • Buy fruits and vegetables in season.

      Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) is available to SNAP recipients through NDSU Extension Service’s Family Nutrition Program. Please see for more information.

      Flyer: NDWORKS

      Download the PDF

      At Community Options, you will work with our staff to establish goals, overcome barriers, and become self-sufficient.


      The work program associated with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program that provides individuals opportunities to overcome barriers, gain skills, training or experience, and participate in job search activities that will improve your employment prospects and reduce your reliance on SNAP benefits. 

      • You will have to comply with 12 hours per month of Job Searching or Job Search Training, 30 hours per week of employment or be enrolled in an education program. 
      • You will have to maintain weekly contact with your Service Coordinator, with at least one in-person meeting per month. 


      NDWORKS program participants are eligible for reimbursements if they have an open SNAP case. The following items are included:

      • Transportation (bus pass, fares, vouchers, gas, taxi fees)
      • Grooming and personal hygiene
      • Clothing and tools for employment
      • Licensing and testing for employment
      • Books and training materials necessary for educational component 
      Helpful EBT Tips

      Download the PDF

      Proper Care and Use

      • Keep your card safe in a purse or wallet and keep the card clean, but do not get it wet.
      • Do not bend or fold your card and keep it away from magnets, TVs, stereos, VCRs, microwaves and direct sunlight.
      • Keep the magnetic strip clean and free of scratches.

      Protect your PIN

      • Write your PIN down at home and keep it in a safe place. Never under any circumstance give your pin number out to anyone.

      Fraud Alert

      • Be aware and on the lookout for potential scammers during COVID-19, that may be trying to steal personal information. If individuals receiving SNAP are contacted and unsure if a request for information is legitimate, contact your local SNAP office as soon as possible. If you believe you are the victim of identity theft, contact your local police department regarding procedures for filing a report.

      What can I purchase?

      • Foods for you and your household such as:
        • Breads, cereals, fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, poultry and dairy products
        • Seeds and plants which produce food
        • Meals prepared in group homes, senior citizen meal sites, or home delivered senior meals (Meals on Wheels)

      What you CANNOT purchase:

      • Nonfood items
        • Pet food, soap, paper, household products, grooming and cosmetic items
        • Vitamins and medicines
        • Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco

      ebtEDGE mobile app, what information does it provide?

      • Deposit and transaction history, benefit schedule, locating SNAP retailers near your location.
      • To download the app, look for the logo to the right in the Apple App Store or Google Play, by searching ebtEDGE.

      FIS Customer Service Helpline

      • 1.800.630.4655

      FIS Online Portal

      EBT Client Handbook

      Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

      Penalties for Misuse

      It is against the law to sell or trade your EBT card. If you are caught using your EBT card in an unlawful manner, you may be disqualified from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and/or be referred for criminal prosecution by the Office of the Inspector General. The regulations also require counties to pursue intentional program violation anytime a SNAP recipient has made a false or misleading statement, misrepresented, concealed, or
      withheld facts or, the individual has committed any act that constitutes a violation of the Food and Nutrition Act, SNAP regulations, or any State statute for the purpose of using, presenting, acquiring, receiving, possessing, or trafficking of benefits.

      EBT Handbook

      Download the PDF

      This handbook contains important information about North Dakota EBT. The handbook will answer many of your questions and tell you who to contact if you need help. Please keep this handbook in a safe place and refer to it when you have questions.

      Getting Started with EBT

      What is EBT?

      Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) is the way you receive and use your SNAP benefits in North Dakota. You can use your EBT card in any store that accepts SNAP benefits in North Dakota and throughout the United States.

      When do I get my card?

      Your card will arrive within 7-10 business days. If your card does not arrive in this timeframe, contact FIS customer support.

      How do I get my SNAP benefits with EBT?

      The benefits are deposited into your EBT account, much like a bank account. Your benefits are available by using your EBT card and Personal Identification Number (PIN).

      When do I get my SNAP benefits?

      If you are a new client, you will receive a notice from your human service zone office telling you when the SNAP benefits will be available in your EBT account. If you are an ongoing client, you will receive your benefits in your EBT account on the 1st day of the month, even if the 1st falls on a weekend or a holiday.

      What does my EBT card look like?

      Your EBT card is a plastic card with a colored picture of the North Dakota Capitol grounds, a picture of the North Dakota Prairie Rose, and the words North Dakota. It has your card number on the front and a place for your signature on the back.

      Using Your EBT Card

      Where can I shop?

      Most authorized food retailers and convenience stores accept EBT. Authorized retailers display a decal on the door that looks like your card. Your card should work at any terminal that displays the Quest logo.

      Is there a mobile app for EBT?

      Yes, there is a mobile app called ebtEDGE. The benefits of this app include:

      • viewing your deposit history
      • viewing your transaction history
      • viewing your benefit schedule
      • ability to locate SNAP retailers near your location
      • ability to set your language preferences to English or Spanish. 

      To download the app, look for the logo shown in the Apple App Store or Google Play, by searching ebtEDGE.

      How do I use my EBT card?

      Follow these steps to use your EBT card:

      1. Once your items are scanned by the cashier, swipe your card.
      2. Enter your 4-digit secret PIN on the key pad. The machine will show (****).
      3. Press the Enter key.
      4. You will receive a store receipt once the transaction is completed.

      Note: A good practice is to check your balance before shopping. You can check your balance by: 

      • using the ebtEDGE app
      • calling the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655
      • logging on to a computer at

      Can I check my balance with the ebtEdge app?

      Yes, an account summary can be found by going to My Account List, then selecting the card from the list.

      Can someone else shop for me?

      In an emergency, you may let someone else use your EBT card to buy food for you.

      Note: Be careful - If you let someone else use your card to purchase food for you, they could use all of your benefits. These benefits cannot be replaced.

      Will I receive an EBT receipt and what information is on my EBT receipt?

      You should always be provided with a printed EBT receipt. At minimum your EBT receipt will contain a date, the retailer’s name, the location, transaction type, transaction amount and your remaining SNAP balance. The households name shall not appear on the receipt. A sample receipt is below for your information.

      What can I purchase with my EBT card?

      You can purchase:

      • Foods for you and your household to eat, such as:
        • breads and cereals
        • fruits and vegetables
        • meat, fish and poultry
        • dairy products
      • Seeds and plants which produce food for you and your household
      • Meals prepared in group homes, senior citizen meal sites, or home-delivered senior meals (Meals on Wheels)

      You cannot purchase:

      • Any nonfood items:
        • pet food
        • soap, paper and household products
        • grooming and cosmetic items
      • Vitamins and medicines
      • Food that will be eaten in the store
      • Hot foods that are ready to eat
      • Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
      • Container deposit fees

      You CANNOT receive cash.

      Contact the store manager if you have any questions on whether you can purchase an item with your EBT card.

      Personal Identification Number

      What is a PIN?

      A PIN, or Personal Identification Number, is the four-digit secret code you will select when you receive your EBT card. The PIN acts as your signature or authorization. You will use your card and PIN to purchase groceries.

      Choosing your pin:

      • Choose four digits that are easy for you to remember but hard for someone else to guess
      • Do not use your date of birth or your Social Security number as your PIN
      • Use a unique PIN to avoid fraud

      Keeping your pin safe:

      • Do not write your PIN on your EBT card or cardholder
      • Do not keep your PIN in your wallet or purse
      • Do not share your PIN with anyone else

      What if I forget my PIN?

      If you are in the grocery store and forget your PIN or enter the wrong PIN, you have two more chances that day to enter the correct PIN. If the correct PIN is not entered on the third try, your account will be “locked.” The next day, you will have three more chances to enter the correct PIN.

      If you do not remember your PIN or think someone else knows it, you can choose a new PIN one of the following ways:

      • Call the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655
      • Log on to
      • Mobile app

      How do I choose a new PIN by calling the helpline?

      1. Have your EBT card in front of you.
      2. Call the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655. You will hear “Welcome to the North Dakota EBT customer service line.”
      3. For English press 1.
      4. Enter your 16 digit EBT card number. You can press star at any time to start over.
      5. You will hear “The SNAP balance is xx.xx. To hear that again, press 1 or hang up. Stay on the line and you will hear more options. To change PIN, press 4.”
      6. You will hear “Please enter your date of birth using two digits for the month and two digits for the day. For example, if your date of birth was August 21, you would enter 0821.”
      7. You will be asked to enter the last four digits of your Social Security number. Example: if your social security number is 111-11-4444, you would need to enter 4444.
      8. You will be asked to enter a 4-digit PIN.
      9. To confirm your PIN, please re-enter the same four digits”.
      10. Once the PIN has been changed, you will hear “Thank you. I’ll go ahead and change your PIN. All set. If you are done here, just hang up. If you need further assistance, press the star (*) key. You may use your EBT card with the new PIN immediately.

      Who may call the helpline to select a new PIN?

      The primary individual or another SNAP household member who uses the EBT card may call the helpline.  You are required to provide the social security number and date of birth of the primary individual in the case when selecting a new PIN. 

      Card Security

      What should I do if I lose my EBT card?

      Call the FIS Customer Service line immediately at 1-800-630-4655 to report your EBT card as lost, stolen, damaged, or to request a new EBT card. These actions may also be completed in the EBTEdge app. No one else may use your EBT card once you report it missing. 

      What if I think I’ve lost my card?

      You have the ability to freeze your card if you think it is lost. Call customer service or app.

      Can I block certain types of activity on my card?

      You can block certain activities using the ebtEDGE mobile app. See the image below for an example.

      How do I cancel my card by calling the Helpline?

      1. Call the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655. You will hear “Welcome to the North Dakota EBT customer service line.”
      2. For English press 1.
      3. Enter your 16 digit card number. You can   press star at any time to start over.
      4. If you do not enter a 16 digit card number you will hear, “We did not get your card number. To re-enter your card number press 1, If your card has been lost, stolen or damaged, press 2 to cancel your card.”
      5. You will hear “You have requested your EBT card cancelled. If your EBT card is cancelled, you will not be able to use your benefits until a replacement card is issued.
      6. To have your EBT card cancelled now, press 1. If you do not want to cancel your EBT card, press 2.”
      7. You will hear, “You are being transferred to a representative who can help you. Please hold. From this point on, your call may be monitored or recorded.

      This can also be done online or in the app.

      Can I get additional security on my EBT account in addition to the PIN number?

      Yes, you can have a Security Code added to your EBT account. Adding a Security Code will provide an additional password that would be needed to change your PIN and/or cancel your card. To add a Security Code to your EBT account, please contact the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program at (701) 328-2328 or 1-800-755-2716.


      What if my card doesn’t work?

      If your card does not work or you get an error message, call the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655 or log on to for assistance. Examples of error messages on a store’s EBT machines are:

      • Not Sufficient Funds (NSF)
      • Invalid PIN
      • Invalid Card

      How do I obtain a replacement card?

      Contact the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655, log on to, or use the mobile app for assistance. You are allowed up to four EBT cards within a 12 month period of time. Once you hit 4 cards with a 12 month period your account will be monitored for potential fraud. If your card is visibly damaged or you have continuous problems using it, contact contact the customer service line, online, mobile app.

      Note: Protect your card as you would any other credit card; Never lend your card to anyone. If you do and your benefits are misspent, they will not be replaced.

      How do I obtain my balance when calling the Helpline?

      1. Have your EBT card in front of you.
      2. Call the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655. You will hear…”Welcome to the North Dakota EBT customer service line.”
      3. For English press 1.
      4. Enter your 16 digit EBT card number. You can press star at any time to start over.
      5. You will hear “The SNAP balance is $xx.xx.”

      What if I think my balance is wrong?

      1. Have your EBT card in front of you.
      2. Call the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655. You will hear…”Welcome to the North Dakota EBT customer service line.”
      3. "For English press 1.”
      4. Enter your 16 digit EBT card number. You can press star at any time to start over.
      5. You will hear “The SNAP balance is $xx.xx, To hear that again, press 1 or hang up.”
      6. Stay on the line and to hear more options. For Transaction History, press 1.
      7. You will be given your  transaction history and provided with the following options:
      • To hear that again, press 1.
      • To get a statement, press 2.
      • For disputes, press 3.
      • To hear other options, press 4.

      You can also view your balance online or the mobile app.

      Additional Information

      Will my benefits carry over from month to month?

      SNAP benefits carry over from month to month and may be used even when your SNAP case closes. Benefits in an account that have not been used for 274 days will be removed and you will not be able to use them.

      Is there a minimum dollar amount per transaction and is there a maximum number of transactions per month?

      No, there is not a minimum dollar amount per transaction, nor is there a maximum number of transactions per month. You will need to be sure you have the funds in your account to cover your transactions. In addition, no transactions fees shall be imposed.

      How do I take something back to the store? Can I get cash back for the returned item?

      Take the item and the receipt back to the store. The store will put the amount back into your EBT account or you may select a new item from the store. You will NOT receive cash.

      Can I charge a grocery purchase for payment with EBT benefits when they are deposited at a later date?

      No, you cannot charge grocery purchases to be paid with EBT benefits at a later date.

      What if I move or travel out of North Dakota?

      If you move keep your EBT card to use any remaining food assistance benefits in another state. If you wish to receive SNAP benefits in the state you have moved to, you need to apply for benefits in that state. You may use your EBT card in any state you travel to.

      Exception: Your EBT card will not work in the state of California. If traveling to CA please contact the state office.

      If you are not sure if you can use your card, try a balance inquiry before using it for a purchase. If you are able to get a balance, you will be able to use your card at that store.

      Should I destroy my EBT card if my SNAP case closes?

      Do not throw your EBT card away. You should use any remaining benefits in your EBT account and keep your EBT card. It may be possible to use the same EBT card if you reapply for SNAP benefits in North Dakota at a later date.

      Errors on Your EBT Account

      Errors on your EBT account do not happen often but may occur. If you notice an error, call the FIS Customer Service Helpline at 1-800-630-4655 to report the problem. You have 90 days from the date of the error to request an adjustment of your EBT account.

      If the error results in you receiving more funds than you should have, an adjustment may be completed to reclaim those funds. The State will send you a notice explaining the problem and the amount removed from your EBT account. If your current EBT balance does not have enough funds to cover the full adjustment, it will be removed from next month’s benefits.

      If you disagree with the action taken on your account, you may request a hearing within 90 days from the date of the notice. If you contact the State within 15 days of the notice, no funds will be removed from your account, pending the outcome of the hearing.

      If the action taken to adjust your account is upheld by the hearing decision, it will be deducted from your next month’s benefits.

      Fair Hearings

      If you disagree with a decision, we have made about your EBT account, you have the right to request a fair hearing. You must request the fair hearing within 90 days of date of the action taken.

      To request a fair hearing, contact the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Office at (701) 328-2328. You may also write the office at:
      600 East Boulevard Avenue
      Bismarck, ND  58505-0250.

      As a SNAP recipient, you must:

      • Use your benefits to buy eligible food items only.
      • Not use another person’s EBT card for your own use.
      • Not sell, trade, or give away your EBT card.

      People who break SNAP rules may be disqualified from the program, fined, imprisoned, or all three.


      This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

      The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

      Persons with disabilities who required alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

      To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Form, (AD-3027), found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.

      Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
      Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture 
      Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
      1400 Independence Avenue, SW
      Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
      Fax: (202) 690-7442

      For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689. This hotline is available in Spanish.

      You can also call the State Information/Hotline Numbers found online at:

      To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).  You can also write: 
      HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200
      Independence Avenue, S.W.
      Washington, D.C. 20201

      This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


      Balancing Calories

      • Enjoy your food, but eat less.
      • Avoid oversized portions.

      Foods to Increase

      • Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
      • Make at least half your grains whole grains.
      • Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.

      Foods to Reduce

      • Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals and choose the foods with lower numbers.
      • Drink water instead of sugary drinks.


      For questions related to SNAP:

      If you have a question regarding program services, please contact the Customer Support Center.
      Customer Support Center
      P.O. Box 5562
      Bismarck, North Dakota  58506

      For questions or help with your EBT card:

      Download the ebtEDGE mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
      Call the Customer Service Helpline at 1.800.630.4655