Purpose: The purpose of the Lifespan Respite Care Grant Service is to offer the funding and resources to support caregivers of children with special needs or of adults who have an urgent need for respite care in the absence of any other public funding sources.
The need for respite care services may result from, but is not limited to, the following circumstances:
- Caregiver illness (physical, mental, emotional),
- Caregiver medical appointments
- Caregiver death or hospitalization,
- Illness of a loved one,
- Substance use disorder,
- Fire/weather damage to caregiver's/care recipient's home,
- Caregiver/care recipient conflict,
- Abuse/neglect prevention, or
- Risk of loss of employment.
The individual receiving emergency respite care services will meet the following criteria:
- Meet the definition of caregiver;
- Have a need for respite care and does not have access to other public funding sources or is on a waiting list for available services;
- Lives with the care recipient, or if the primary caregiver does not live with the care recipient, the caregiver must be providing frequent on-site visits throughout the day, which are essential to assure the client's health and safety. For example, the care recipient would be unable to get out of bed, prepare a meal, etc., in the absence of the caregiver.
Limits: Respite Funding
- Respite funding is capped.
- Providers must charge their usual and customary rate.
- Request for services will ONLY be accepted from agencies working with caregivers and care recipients.
- Aging Services will NOT accept referrals directly from individuals, including caregivers, care recipients, family members, etc.
- Aging Services must pre-approve all respite requests.
- Retroactive requests for respite funding may be approved on a case-by-case basis.
- The Lifespan Respite Care Grant Respite Care Application (SFN 548) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information and Forms for Referring Agencies
- Flowchart: How to Secure Respite Grant Funding for Caregivers (Oct. 2019)
- Application (SFN 548) (pdf 1.66MB)
- Respite Provider Agreement (SFN 559)
- IRS Substitute W-9 Form (SFN 53656)
- Provider Service Log (Billing Form) (SFN 546)
- (NOTE: If you have problems accessing the forms, it may be your Web browser. Please see guidance on the State Forms Page.)
- Lifespan Respite Care Service Standards (Revised April 2020)
- Sample: Journal/Worksheet (March 14, 2019)
- Flyer: For Agencies Working with Caregivers
- Flyer: For Caregivers
- Presentation: ND Lifespan Respite Care Grant: Respite Care Services
Aging Services Division
1237 W. Divide Avenue, Suite 6
Bismarck, ND 58501
ND Aging & Disability Resource toll-free (855) GO2-LINK [(855) 462-5465]
711 (TTY) or Relay ND TTY: (800) 366-6888
Fax: (701) 328-8744