Welcome to the North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services (NDHHS) Institutional Review Board (IRB). The IRB is an administrative body established to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects in projects and research conducted with NDHHS programs. By reviewing research applications, the IRB makes sure that research protocols treat human subjects ethically and protect their privacy. The IRB has the authority to approve, require modifications in, or disapprove all activities that fall within its jurisdiction as specified in the federal and state regulations. All IRBs review and approve research in accordance with the federal Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) regulations at 45 CFR 46.
IRB Application Instructions and Forms
- Step One: Complete the following form
- Preview Questionnaire North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services (NDHHS)
- Step Two: Upon review of the questionnaire, if further IRB review is needed, you will be notified and will need to fill out the following IRB request form.
North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services FWA# 00032966
Expires: January 3, 2028
NDHHS holds a Federalwide Assurance, number 00032966 from the Office for Human Research Protection (OHRP) in the federal Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). This FWA is a binding agreement between NDHHS and the federal HHS and is updated and renegotiated at regular intervals. This Assurance remains in effect until 1/3/2028 unless the DHHS is otherwise notified.
NDHHS IRB Jurisdiction
NDHHS IRB is the IRB charged with the responsibilities for research and projects conducted in the following areas:
- Public Health
- Regional Human Service Centers
- North Dakota State Hospital
- Life Skills and Transition Center
- Regional Child Support Units
- Other areas of NDHHS
- Local Public Health (as requested)
Contact the IRB
If you have questions, contact the IRB administrator at: IRB_NDDHHS@nd.gov