Please contact the regional human service center in your area for information about publicly funded, youth and family community-based behavioral health treatment services.

Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTF)

  • Are facilities that provide children and adolescents with a comprehensive 24-hour therapeutic environment integrating group living, educational services, and a clinical program based upon an interdisciplinary clinical assessment and an individualized treatment plan that meets the needs of the child and family
  • Are available to children in need of and able to respond to active psychotherapeutic intervention and who cannot be effectively treated in their own family, in another home, or in a less restrictive setting
  • North Dakota has six Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities
  • Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities are licensed by the N.D. Department of Human Services, and all carry accreditation by national accreditation bodies. For information on licensing, contact the Behavioral Health Administrator at (701) 328-8920.
  • To initiate a referral to a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities, please complete the universal application form (SFN 824).

Voluntary Treatment Program

  • Is administered by the N.D. Department of Human Services Behavioral Health Division
  • Is an option for parents to access out-of-home treatment for their children without relinquishing legal custody when the child's circumstances fall within the intent of this program. The child must be covered by Medicaid program and the application be approved by the Behavioral Health Division
  • To apply for this program, parents or legal guardians should complete the Voluntary Treatment Program Application form (SFN 507), and the Multi-Agency Authorization for Release of Information (SFN 970).
  • If approved, this program will pay for the non-Medicaid portion of the treatment facilities rate for the approved timeframe.
  • For more information, contact the Behavioral Health Administrator at (701) 328-8920, 711 (TTY).