Medicaid Expansion gives more individuals the opportunity to have affordable coverage, preventive services and greater economic security in the event of accidents or illness. We are building on the success of Medicaid to make health care coverage more accessible for North Dakotans.
Do You Qualify?
Medicaid Expansion is available to individuals between 19-64 with household incomes up to 138% of the federal poverty level (FPL). Individuals eligible for Medicare or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are not eligible for coverage under Medicaid expansion. If your household’s annual income is equal to or lower than the figures below, you will probably qualify for Medicaid.
Rates are effective April 1, 2023.
- 1-person: $20,121
- 2-people: $27,214
- 3-people: $34,307
- 4-people: $41,400
- 5-people: $48,494
- 6-people: $55,587
- 7-people: $62,680
- 8-people: $69,773
For households with more than 8 people, add $7,094 for each additional person.
How to Apply for the Medicaid Expansion
Individuals can also apply either by submitting a paper application or by telephone toll-free (844) 854-4825 or 711 (TTY) for people with hearing impairments, mail, or in-person at a Human Service Zone office.
If an individual does not qualify for Medicaid, the individual can explore whether he or she may qualify for federal health insurance marketplace coverage at www.healthcare.gov.
Medicaid Expansion Coverage
For questions on services and other support, contact Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota Member Services.
- Toll-Free: (833) 777-5779 / 711 (TTY) - This number is now accepting calls from Medicaid Expansion members.
- 711 (TTY): or (800) 366-6888
- Website: https://medicaid.bcbsnd.com/
- Find a Doctor: www.bcbsnd.com/members/find-a-doctor
Health Insurance Marketplace
Beginning January 2014, most Americans were required to have health insurance. If individuals do not qualify for Medicaid, they may be able to research and buy health insurance through the federal government’s Health Insurance Marketplace at www.healthcare.gov or by calling the federal help line at 1 (800) 318-2596 (TTY Users Call: 1(855) 889-4325) during open enrollment periods. The federal Marketplace website and helpline provide information about private health insurance choices and tax subsidies. Details about 2014 tax preparation requirements related to health care coverage and the special enrollment period are also available on the federal website at www.healthcare.gov/taxes or by calling the federal help line listed above.
- Brochure (421kb pdf)
- General Information Flyer (345kb pdf)
- Information Flyer for American Indians (314kb pdf)
- Poster - general population (212kb pdf)
- Poster - American Indian audience (190kb pdf)
- Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO) - State Planning and Establishment Grant Information
- BCBS of ND Health Plan Accreditation
- Medicaid Expansion Annual Technical Report Measurement Year 2021 (1.1mb pdf)
- Medicaid Expansion Annual Technical Report Measurement Year 2020 (1.16mb pdf)
- Medicaid Expansion Annual Technical Report Measurement Year 2019 (961kb pdf)
- Medicaid Expansion Annual Technical Report Measurement Year 2018 (921kb pdf)
- ND Managed Care Risk Mitigation COVID-19 PHE Plan