Get started in the Self-Service Portal

Apply online or manage your case for:

  • Food assistance (SNAP)
  • Medicaid
  • Home energy costs (LIHEAP)
  • Family (CCAP & TANF)

Apply Online

Banner Image

Apply by Mail: Submit a request to have an application mailed to you.

In Person: Print and complete the appropriate application listed below, then return it to the human service zone office in your county.

For additional information about public assistance programs and client rights, view the Application for Assistance Guidebook.

For free Medicaid application assistance from a North Dakota Navigator, call 1.800.233.1737 or visit their website.

New to the Self-Service Portal (SSP)?

Tutorials with videos and step-by-step instructions are available on the SSP Help Page. You can also find FAQs and contacts for help with the system.

Visit the SSP Help Page


Mother helping duaghter write

Get help for your family including paying for child care and temporary assistance to support your family.

Mother and daughter shopping for produce

Find help with food from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or WIC.

Baby getting a check up at the doctor

Find help with healthcare needs for you and your family.

Father and son doing yardwork

Get help with heating, rent, utilities, mortgage and more.


Quick Links


If you are an agency or provider who wishes to receive information about a client receiving Economic Assistance services, complete the steps below.

  1. Complete and have the client sign the Authorization to Disclose Information form (SFN 1059).
  2. Send the completed SFN 1059 to the Customer Support Center at
    1. Note: If you are a housing authority looking for housing assistance verification, include the following subject line: Housing Assistance Verification Request. A response will be returned to your agency within 48hrs on the Verification of Public Assistance Income form (SFN 300).

Please send all out of state inquires to and include the following information:

  • Subject line: Out of State Inquiry
  • Requestors name and title

This information will be sent back to you in an encrypted email and may take up to 5 business days.

We partner with other agencies that may be able to help you:

Additional help:

Financial Help (brochures, etc. about programs)

DHS Policy Manuals

To report suspected fraud of the Basic Care Assistance Program, Child Care Assistance Program, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program , call the Fraud Hotline at 701-328-2332 or e-mail

To report suspected Medicaid Fraud, email, or call 1-800-755-2604 - select option 8 to speak with an attendant. You may also complete the Surveillance and Utilization Review Section (SURS) Referral form and submit it to the Department.

For assistance with Third Party Liability (TPL) - call (701) 328-2347 or e-mail

The Customer Support Center can help you:

  • report changes to your case
  • answer questions about your case or programs
  • check the status of your application and/or review

This is also where you will send documents related to your case either by email, fax or mail.
Note: If you are signed up for the Self-Service Portal (SSP) you can submit documents online.

Contact the center at:
Phone: 1.866.614.6005 or 701-328-1000; 711 (TTY)
Fax: 701.328.1006
Mail: Customer Support Center P.O. Box 5562 Bismarck ND 58506