A certified copy of a birth record may only be requested by the individual named on the record, provided they are at least 16 years old, or by the mother or father named on the record.
If you are not one of the three individuals listed above, you may not request a certified copy of a birth record unless you include:
- A court order (not a subpoena) listing the child's full name and date of birth, and the confidential information form if the order lists only the child's initials, requiring our office to issue a certified copy to you; or
- Other legal documentation listing you as an authorized representative of the individual named on the birth record.
If you are requesting a birth record for an individual that is deceased, you must be:
- An immediate relative of the deceased individual; (i.e. parent, child, grandparent, grandchild. Siblings, uncles, aunts and cousins are not eligible); or
- An authorized representative acting on behalf of the deceased individual; and
- Submit a certified copy of their death record if the death did not occur in North Dakota.
Do I need any identification to make a request?
Yes. You must submit a legible photocopy of one of the following forms of primary photo identification with your request. The identification CANNOT be EXPIRED!
|Driver's License||Issued by a U.S. state or territory's Department of Transportation, or by a country. An Expired driver's licenses can be accepted if they expired in the last 30 days.|
|Photo ID Card||Issued by a U.S. state or territory's Department of Transportation. Must be verifiable by the issuing agency, and must contain either an issue or an expiration date.|
|Tribal ID Card||Issued by the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs. Must be the front and back of this card because information we need to verify is also on the back of the card.|
|U.S. Military ID Card||Active duty, dependent, retired, reserve or National Guard.|
|U.S. Passport||Issued by the U.S. Department of State.|
|U.S. Visa||Issued by the U.S. Department of State.|
|U.S. Permanent Resident Card||Issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.|
If you do not have one of the prior primary forms of identification, you must provide a legible photocopy of two of the following. EXPIRED licenses or ID cards will NOT be accepted!
|Bank Statement||Must contain current address and be less than three months old.|
|Motor Vehicle Registration Card||Issued by a U.S. state or territory and must be less than one year old and contain current address.|
|Social Security Card||Issued by U.S. Social Security Administration.|
|Social Services Card||Issued by a U.S. state or territory. (includes Medicaid/Medicare cards)|
|Tribal Enrollment Record||Issued by a Native American Tribe. Must contain DOB. May also be called a Certificate of Indian Blood.|
|Utility Bill||Must contain current address and be less than three months old.|
|Paycheck Stub or W-2 (only one of these can be used)||The paycheck stub must have been issued within the last three months, and the W-2 within the last tax year and must include the name, SSN and name and address of the employer.|
If you cannot provide any of these forms of identification or if you have any other questions related to these requirements, please call our office at (701) 328-2360 or contact us by e-mail at email@example.com
What steps do I follow to apply for a Birth Record by Mail?
- Download and complete the birth request application form.
- Include a check or money order made out to the "ND DHHS" for all required fees.
- Include primary or secondary forms of identification.
- Mail form, fees and identification to: Vital Records, 600 E. Boulevard Ave. Dept 325, Bismarck, ND 58505-0250