Undercover law enforcement officers working in off-sale locations looking for youth purchasing alcohol, adults purchasing alcohol for youth, and other alcohol law violations.
What is this strategy?
When should I consider implementing this strategy?
- Youth are purchasing alcohol in off-sale liquor stores.
- Older youth are purchasing alcohol for underage youth.
How do I implement this strategy?
Key Activities for Implementation:
- Build relationships with local/county/state law enforcement and off-sale license holders.
- Educate/Train on “Cops in Shops” program.
- Build support for “Cops in Shops” program.
- Work with retailers, council, commission, etc. to pass policy requiring program.
- Should occur during high use times (4th of July, New Years, graduations, etc.).
Have others implemented this strategy?
- “Cops in Shops’ underage drinking enforcement kicks off on the jersey shore” (Article, New Jersey)
- “229 people arrested this past summer at the Jersey Shore Underage Drinking Operation ‘Cops in Shops’” (Article/Posters, Hudson TV)