In order for prevention efforts to be effective, it is vital for communities to utilize a planning process that is active, deliberate and ongoing. The Behavioral Health Division provides funding opportunities to community organizations across the state.
Learn What Works
What is evidence-based prevention?
- It is guided by several theories of change:
- Individual change theories, including theories of risk and resilience.
- Intra-and inter-organizational change theories.
- Community change theories, including community organizing, policy change, and public health theories.
- It applies evidence from rigorous evaluation research on prevention practices.
- It follows a process of strategic planning that focuses on integrating thoughtful assessment, design, implementation, and evaluation.
- The Strategic Prevention Framework is an evidence-based, 5-step planning process that guides the selection, implementation, and evaluation of evidence-based, culturally appropriate, sustainable prevention activities.
- Review the Strategic Prevention Framework Guide.
We can help!
We provide assistance to individuals and communities across North Dakota interested in implementing effective prevention.
- Having trouble getting partners actively involved?
- Unsure how to identify the best solution to a community problem?
- Trying to write an evaluation plan for a prevention effort?
- Unsure how to best present the information you have to community stakeholders?
- Looking for how other communities have accomplished a particular strategy?
Training and Technical Assistance (T/TA)
Training and Technical Assistance (T/TA) is a collaborative process of providing targeted assistance and support.
What are the goals of T/TA?
- Strengthen the capacity (resources and readiness) of individuals, groups and organizations to implement and sustain effective prevention strategies and positive outcomes.
- Support ND communities in successfully implementing SAMHSA's Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF).
How is T/TA delivered?
- In-person training
- Online events
- Collaboration and resource sharing
- Information dissemination
- Statewide and national meetings
- Basics of substance abuse prevention
- Strategic Prevention Framework Model (assessment, strategic planning, capacity building, sustainability, cultural competence, evaluation, etc.)
- Risk and protective factors
- Data-driven decision-making
- Evidence-based prevention policies, programs, and practices
- North Dakota laws
- Guidance documents on evidence-based strategy implementation
- Sample policies
- Sample memorandums of understanding (MOUs)
- Marketing tools
- Community success stories
Contact the Prevention Team
Contact us with any questions or if you would like to receive additional information about our services.