Our office provides three different types of certified copies of death records based on your need and eligibility:

  1. A certified copy of a complete death record may be issued to a relative*, an authorized representative, a funeral director reporting the facts of death, or by the order of a court of competent jurisdiction. This copy is the full death record that includes the cause of death and the social security number.
  2. A certified copy of a death record that includes the facts of death may be issued to any person that may obtain a certified copy of a complete death record or to any licensed attorney who requires the copy for a bona fide legal determination. This copy includes the decedent's social security number but does not include any cause of death information.
  3. A certified informational copy of a death record may be issued to the general public. This copy includes all the demographic information about the decedent, but the copy does not contain the cause of death or the social security number.

(*) Relative - Based on NDCC 23.02-1, for the purposes of disclosing death information, means a person's current or surviving spouse, a parent or legal guardian, a child, a grandparent, or a grandchild.


Do I need any identification to make a request?

Yes. You must submit a legible photocopy of one of the following forms of primary photo identification with your request. The identification CANNOT be EXPIRED!


Driver's LicenseIssued by a U.S. state or territory's Department of Transportation, or by a country.  An Expired driver's licenses can be accepted if they expired in the last 30 days.
Photo ID CardIssued by a U.S. state or territory's Department of Transportation.  Must be verifiable by the issuing agency, and must contain either an issue or an expiration date.
Tribal ID CardIssued by the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs.  Must be the front and back of this card because information we need to verify is also on the back of the card.
U.S. Military ID CardActive duty, dependent, retired, reserve or National Guard.
U.S. PassportIssued by the U.S. Department of State.
U.S. VisaIssued by the U.S. Department of State.
U.S. Permanent Resident CardIssued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.


If you do not have one of the prior primary forms of identification, you must provide a legible photocopy of two of the following.  EXPIRED licenses or ID cards will NOT be accepted!


Bank StatementMust contain current address and be less than three months old.
Motor Vehicle Registration CardIssued by a U.S. state or territory and must be less than one year old and contain current address.
Social Security CardIssued by U.S. Social Security Administration.
Social Services CardIssued by a U.S. state or territory. (includes Medicaid/Medicare cards)
Tribal Enrollment RecordIssued by a Native American Tribe.  Must contain DOB.  May also be called a Certificate of Indian Blood.
Utility BillMust contain current address and be less than three months old.
Paycheck Stub or W-2 (only one of these can be used)The paycheck stub must have been issued within the last three months, and the W-2 within the last tax year and must include the name, SSN and name and address of the employer.
DD Form 214Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty


If you cannot provide any of these forms of identification or if you have any other questions related to these requirements, please call our office at (701) 328-2360 or contact us by e-mail at


What steps do I follow to apply for a Death Record by Mail?

  1. Download and complete the death request application form.
  2. Include a check or money order made out to the "ND DHHS" for all required fees.
  3. Include primary or secondary forms of identification.
  4. Mail form, fees and identification to:  Vital Records, 600 E. Boulevard Ave. Dept 325, Bismarck, ND 58505-0250