A texting tipline is a method for individuals to provide information to law enforcement about youth drinking, parties, other drug use, or other concerns. Tiplines with easy-to-remember numbers promoted to students, teachers, or parents concerned about underage drinking and other drug use can be a valuable information source for law enforcement.
What is this strategy?
Catalog of Prevention Strategies (Texting Tipline)
When should I consider implementing this strategy?
- Youth report drinking alcohol at both social and retail locations such as house parties, or in their parents’ home, apartment buildings, private fields, hotel rooms, bars, restaurants, etc.
- This strategy can also help with other alcohol/drug-related crimes such as vandalism, violence, bullying, etc.
How do I implement this strategy?
Key activities for implementation:
- Determine agency responsible for monitoring the tipline.
- Determine coverage area (multi-county, county, city).
- Communicate and gain support from law enforcement and community.
- Once implemented, promote the tip line and provide information to the public on how to use it.
Have others implemented this strategy?
North Dakota communities: