Checking ID for Alcohol Sales relates to any efforts to enhance the checking of IDs. Examples of implementation include a carding policy within a retail establishment, an ordinance/law requiring retailers to card customers, the consistent utilization of electronic ID scanners, or training servers/sellers on how to identify false IDs.
What is this strategy?
Catalog of Prevention Strategies (Checking IDs for Alcohol Sales)
When should I consider implementing this strategy?
- Youth are able to purchase alcohol by using fake IDs.
- Retail staff are not carding.
- Retail staff are not taking the time to verify information on ID.
- Retail establishments do not have a policy in place to mandate carding.
How do I implement this strategy?
- Assess retail outlets and carding practices.
- Obtain information on local ordinances: mandatory carding.
- Determine what will work in your community.
- Build support for enhancing card practices.
- Work with retailers, council, commission, etc. to pass policies/ordinances.
What Every Store Clerk Needs to Know About Selling Alcohol (Oregon Liquor Control)
OJJDP Identifying Fraudulent Identification (Fake IDs) Presentation
Age Verification – Identification Checklist
Have others implemented this strategy?
North Dakota Communities:
- Watford City Mandatory Carding Ordinance
- Order Materials - North Dakota We Card Website
- “Program encourages checking ID” (Article, Bismarck Tribune)