Peer support specialists utilize their lived experience to assist others on their journey to recovery and wellness. One’s recovery journey and lived experience can be from numerous realms such as substance use disorders, mental health disorders, brain injuries etc.
Through shared understanding and mutual empowerment, peer support workers help others become and stay engaged in the recovery process by using their lived experience, and skills learned in formal Peer Support training. Peer Services focus on long-term recovery and wellness, and are rooted in a culture of hope, health, and wellness.
Peer Support Services are essential ingredients in developing a recovery-oriented system, and go beyond the reduction or elimination of symptoms to encompass self-actualization, community, and overall wellness.
Peer support is effective, and can:
- Improve quality of life and life satisfaction
- Increase social support and social functioning
- Improve whole health, including conditions like diabetes.
- Improve engagement and satisfaction with services and supports.
- Decrease hospitalizations and healthcare costs
Spread the Word
Download or order Peer Support rack cards.