Public Health Addresses and Phone Numbers
Public Health Division
600 E Boulevard Ave, Dept 325
Bismarck, ND 58505-0250
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time
Location: Central Public Health Division offices are located on the 2nd floor of the Judicial Wing of the State Capitol. Vital Records is located on the 1st floor.
Public Health Hotline
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CT
Monday through Friday (holidays may affect these times)
1-800-427-2180 (Toll Free)
1720 Sykes Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504
2635 E Main Avenue
PO Box 5520
Bismarck, ND 58506
Public Health Media Inquiries
Media inquiries related to public health can be submitted by email to:
There are 28 independent local public health units (LPHU)s across the state of North Dakota. Access health services such as child immunizations, adult immunizations, tobacco use prevention, high blood pressure screening, injury prevention screening, blood lead screening, early and periodic screening diagnosis and treatment.
About the Public Health Division
The Public Health Division's mission is to improve the length and quality of life for all North Dakotans. To accomplish our mission, we focus on six goals including two cross-cutting goals that help guide our work division-wide. These cross-cutting principles are to Improve Health Equity and Use Evidence-based Practices to Make Data-Driven Decisions.
The Public Health Division aligns each of our functions to these four goals:
The Public Health Division is comprises five sections:
- Disease Control and Forensic Pathology – Supports disease prevention, surveillance, and identification as well as epidemiologic investigation and forensic examinations.
- Healthy & Safe Communities (HSC) – Provides support for individuals, families, and communities by providing quality programs that protect and enhance the health and safety of all North Dakotans.
- Health Response and Licensure – Leads the planning and coordination of the public health and medical response as well as the implementation of regulation programs that protect the health and safety of North Dakotans, including ensuring North Dakota’s inpatient care facilities, outpatient programs, and staff-provided-services meet relevant health care standards.
- Laboratory Services – Provides rapid, accurate detection and identification of organisms that may threaten the public’s health.
- Health Statistics and Performance – Coordinates epidemiological studies, investigations, and surveillance activities; conducts data analysis; manages the registration and certification of vital events in ND and provides expertise and consultation on disease surveillance, data acquisition, database management, quality improvement, and health intervention activities.
Executive Director, Public Health
As the Executive Director for the Public Health Division, Dirk oversees day-to-day operations including disease control and prevention, improving access to and delivery of quality health care and wellness services, and managing licensure and certification. A two-time graduate from the University of Mary, Dirk received his bachelor's degree in communications and his master's degree in business administration. He also received his juris doctorate degree from the University of North Dakota School of Law. He is a native of Helena, Montana.