Skilled nursing facilities in North Dakota are licensed by the state and certified by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to participate in the Medicare/Medicaid programs. The North Dakota Health and Human Services, Health Facilities Unit, has the contract for conducting the Medicare/Medicaid certification survey for CMS in these nursing facilities.  

Nurse Aide Registry and Abuse Investigation

The Health Facilities Unit is designated by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services as the agency responsible for the registration of certified nursing assistants (CNAs). In addition to maintaining the registry, the Health Facilities Unit receives and investigates allegations of abuse in long-term care facilities. There are over 10,000 people registered to practice as certified nurse aides in the state of North Dakota. 

Certified Nurse Aide Validated Abuse List

Nurse Aide Training and Evaluation Program

 The Health Facilities Unit reviews and approves the certified nurse aide training programs throughout the state. Currently, approximately 56 of these training programs are approved by the Health Facilities Unit.  

Regulatory Code


Additional Information

Rural Health Information Hub

The Rural Health Information Hub (RHIhub) is the nation's rural health information source. The website offers an online library, coverage of rural issues, state guides, toolkits, program models, and more. RHIhub provides customized assistance by phone or email and is funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy. For more information follow this link:

Rural Health Information Hub

Quality Health Associates of North Dakota serves as a link between healthcare providers and the community.

Quality Health Associates of North Dakota

Informal Dispute Resolution (IDR) Request

Download IDR Form

Public Posting of Funded CMP Projects

  • There are no current projects. CMP funds were awarded for Visitation Aids as allowed by CMS

Additional information regarding the CMP program and the most current application can be found at:

Additional questions and inquiries can be sent to

Current Issues